Department of Mining Engineering
Address for Correspondence:
Prof. U.K. Dey
Head of the Dept
Department of Mining Engg
BIT Sindri, P.O.: Sindri Institute, Sindri
Dist: Dhanbad, Jharkhand, India PIN: 828123
The Department of Mining Engineering, BIT Sindri was started in the year 1975 by the Government of Bihar, keeping in view the vast and a large variety of mineral reserves in the state of Bihar (now Jharkhand). There was also an urgency to cater the need for a large number of trained and skilled mining engineers in the 1970s as natural consequences of nationalization of the mineral industries. The department was started with an initial intake of 25 students in four years degree course which was subsequently approved off late enhancing to 49 students per year by AICTE, New Delhi.
Since the inception of the department, it has contributed, through its well trained and efficient products and experienced faculty members, in a very positive way in the areas of coal and non-coal mining with regard to their management, planning, research and development. The department has the unique locational advantage of being in the middle of country’s prominent coal mining companies as well as various institutions and research organizations of national and international repute such as BCCL, CCL, ECL, CMPDIL, CIMFR, IIT (ISM), TATA STEEL Ltd., SAIL, NML etc. The department is privileged to take the benefit of the presence of such big and illustrious organizations through regular interaction of industries experts with students as well as faculties.
The Department of Mining Engineering in its last 44 years of existence has developed its own curriculum and significant laboratory facilities in keeping with the present-day requirements in the mining and allied industries of the nation and also on a global context. The department has Laboratories with state-of-the-art facilities namely, viz. Rock Mechanics, Mine Ventilation, Mine Environmental Engineering, Mine Systems, Mining Machinery, Mine Surveying as well as Mine Geology. Efforts are continuously being made for improvements in each and every aspects of curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities to maintain its position among the top league in the country.
Vision of the Department:
Strengthening education, research and industry institute interaction in the fields of mining engineering at par with international standards.
Mission of the Department:
- Provide outstanding technical education for analysis, design and operation of mining and materials systems.
- Keep abreast with rapid strides of technology and improve academic standers through innovative teaching and learning processes.
- Engage in quality research in Mining, materials and allied engineering areas.
- Develop academic linkage with leading industries for mutual benefit.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs):
On successful completion of under graduation in Mining Engineering, the graduates are excepted to attain the following program educational objectives.
- Apply knowledge of basic sciences and Mining Engineering to extract minerals
with due safety, conservation and economy.
- Design and specify suitable work plans for efficient and clean mining system under varying geo - mining conditions through a deep understanding of core and allied of mining engineering.
- Work effectively as individual’s capacity and also and as team members or team leader in multidisciplinary projects.
- Pursue a continuous learning process to enhance competency through widening and deepening of knowledge base and skills for carrier growth.
Program Specific Objectives (PSOs):
At the end of the program, the student:
- Able to clearly understand the concepts and applications in the field of mining engineering, and allied areas.
- Able to associate the learning from the courses related to underground and opencast mine, mining method used in coal and metal mining project, mine surveying, mine environment and ventilation, rock mechanics and its application, mine safety engineering and management, planning and design of greenfield and brownfield project.
- Able to have capability to comprehend the technological advancements in the usage of modern design tools to analyze and design mining projects for a variety of applications.
- Able to possess the skills to communicate in both oral and written forms, the work already done and the future plans with necessary road maps, demonstrating the practice of professional ethics and the concerns for societal and environmental wellbeing.
- Passed out students from this Department are serving both in Industry and Academia.
- It includes Government as well Private Sectors such as, Coal India Ltd.; Vedanta Resources and many other Mining Companies.
- Many of them are working in IITs and NITs.
- Department also offers PhD program and has produced twelve PhD’s till date.
- Department is very active in Material (Rock, Soil and Concrete) testing of different organizations, Slope Stability and other Mining projects.
The Department of Mining Engineering has well equipped laboratories with sufficient numbers of conventional as well as modern instruments.
- Mine Environment: From Methanometer to TDS, Bomb Calorimeter, High Volume Sampler Mine Environment Laboratory has many prevalent instruments in the Department.
- Mine Surveying: Mine Surveying laboratory is up-to-date with Theodolites, Total Station, Auto Level, GNSS and all essential accessories and equipment.
- Mine Ventilation: Mine Ventilation laboratory has Dry & Wet bulb hygrometer, different Flame Safety Lamps, G. L. Apparatus, Gas Chamber and many other essential accessories, equipment and instruments.
- Mining Machinery: Mining Machinery lab consists of different safety devices including Tulu pump, Chain Pulley block and transformer.
- Rock Mechanics: Rock Mechanics has one of the well-established laboratories with different rock and soil testing machines and tools. At present, the laboratory is having Compression testing machine, Core cutting machine, Crushing strength apparatus, Direct Shear apparatus and many others with all the essential accessories.
- System Laboratory: System Laboratory also serves the purpose for Computer Application in Mining and Mine Planning & Design. System laboratory has various Mining Software: Flac 3D, Earthworks, Auto-Cad, M.S. Project, SURPAC and Visual FEA.
Expert Faculties members:
Dr. J. K. Pandey
Dr. M. D. Yadav
Prof. (Dr.) U. K. Dey
Head of the Department
Department of Mining Engineering.
|List of Faculty Members|
|SN||Name||Designation||Phone No.||Email ID|
# Click on the name for Curriculum vitae.